Regional Preschool Assistant Service – Overview
Since 2008, Enable Ireland has been contracted by the HSE to provide the Preschool Assistant Service in the Mid-West region. The aim of the service is to support the inclusion and integration of young children within the mainstream or local preschool setting of choice. InLimerick, Enable Ireland works in close co-operation with HSE Children’s services. These include Blackberry, Treehouse, East Limerick & West Limerick Early Intervention Teams and St. Joseph’s Foundation, Charleville.
Preschool ‘support hours’ are allocated to individual children by the relevant Early Intervention Team according to determined need and available resources. In turn, Enable Ireland liaises with the family, team and preschool to assign a suitable assistant from a pool of qualified and experienced preschool assistants (PSA’s). Throughout the duration of the PSA / child assignment, Enable Ireland maintains close links with the family, preschool, Early Intervention Team and PSA to support a successful and inclusive preschool experience for the child. Continuous training and development for PSA’s is also provided.
Role of the PSA
- Actively promote the child’s inclusion in preschool activities.
- Support the child’s integration and relationships with all adults and children at preschool.
- Work in partnership with the family, the Early Intervention Team and preschool.
- Assist the child with personal and intimate care needs where necessary
- Help to implement aspects of the child’s individual development plan as advised by Early Intervention Team.
- Observe and respond to the child’s individual needs.
For more information please contact PSA Co-Ordinator (Enable Ireland) on 061 498147 or you can email email@example.com