Entitlements and Benefits


You may qualify for a range of benefits and entitlements if your child has a disability. These entitlements and benefits are there to support you as a family and help your child reach their full potential. 

Citizens Information Service

The Citizens Information Service will give you information on your entitlements and benefits. It also gives advice on how to access them, and details of the criteria that you need to meet to qualify for each scheme. 

You can find out about your entitlements by visiting the Citizens Information Website.

Below are some links from the Citizen’s Information Board website that may be relevant to you. There is a lot of information on this website that relates to supports for people with disabilities throughout their lives – so do not worry if it seems like there is a lot of information to take in. If your child’s disability has just been diagnosed lots of this information will not be relevant at this time. 





You can also directly contact the agencies responsible for giving the services, benefits and entitlements.

There are several different agencies that deal with benefits and entitlements. We have listed some of the important ones below.

The Health Service Executive (HSE)

The HSE gives information on the:

    • Drug Payments Scheme
    • Long-Term Illness and Disability Scheme
    • Medical Card
    • GP Visit Card
    • Free Nappies Scheme
    • Diet Supplement Scheme
    • Mobility Allowance
    • Motorised Transport Grant
    • Community Welfare Services

You can phone the HSE on callsave 1850 24 1850 for details on where to apply, or visit its website at www.hse.ie.

The Department of Social Protection:

The Department of Social Protection gives information on the:

    • Child Benefit
    • Carer’s Allowance and Half-Rate Carer’s Allowance
    • Carer’s Benefit
    • Domiciliary Care Allowance
    • Respite Care Grant
    • Disability Allowance
    • Free Travel Pass
    • Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) Credits
    • Household Benefits

You can phone the Department of Social Protection Head Office on 01-704 3000, or visit its website at www.welfare.ie.


The Revenue Commissioners

The Revenue Commissioners gives allowances and exemptions from certain taxes and duties for people with disabilities and their families. These include the following:

    • Incapacitated Child Tax Credit
    • Health/Medical Expenses Tax Relief (Med 1 and Med 2)
    • Home Carer’s Tax Credit
    • Homemaker’s Years Credits
    • Relief on Vehicles for Drivers and Passengers with Disabilities
    • Allowances for Employing a Carer

The Revenue Conmissioners have Access Officers who assist and guide people with disabilities and their families to access the services of the Revenue Commissioners. Click here to see further information on the Access Officers or telephone  (01) 633 08 83. 

Information in several languages is available on the website of the Revenue Commissioners, and there is a specific section that deals with disability

For more information on the above, visit the Revenue Commissioners’ website at www.revenue.ie.

Please note:

As payment rates and scheme names change over time, you can find the most up to date rates for the entitlements and benefits on the Citizens Information Website.